Sunday, January 11, 2009

Cully








We started our walk on MLK at Schoolhouse Electric. Why you ask? because this is The Cully Building built by Thomas Cully in 1884. Thomas Cully was born in 1810 in England and was an early pioneer. He settled on donation land claim farm in the Columbia Slough in 1846. Cully made his way to Oregon via Texas where he was a Texas ranger under Sam Houston. In Oregon he became a stone mason and erected a home for F.W. Pettygrove. He had a 640 acre land claim and a block on the east side of Portland. He and his wife Rebecca Jones had 12 children He died at 81 from injuries he received after being thrown from his wagon. He's buried in Lone Fir Cemetery.




Big group today! lizzie, Eric, Sarah, Dick and I. We stared out on the corner of NE 42nd and Prescott at AJ Java for some java to go. Next door we were fascinated by Caribbean Spice. Probably nothng quite like it anywhere in Portland. I snapped a nice picture of the friendly owner. We continued down 42nd and turned east on NE Ainsworth. lizzie was looking for some new homes she had read about in Portland Monthly that were LEED certified. We liked the open feel of the street. Big lots and interesting homes.














































Dick found us a place for the senior years. Oh wait, they're already here! But we're not quite ready for this!









The boys needed a bathroom stop and ducked into Su Casa Taqueria. We had delicious Mexican food. Refueled we finished up on Killingsworth walking past Rigler School. I especially was interested in the Rigler Peace Community Garden. Though we only walked a small portion of it, I can now say I know where the Cully neighborhood is. It extends all the way to the Columbia Slough and as far east as 82nd!



1 comment:

  1. Mom!

    I'm so impressed by your blog. When i googled 93 neighborhoods portland," you're posting was numero uno.

    I like the pictures and your comments are so funny!

    Keep 'em coming...

    -T.Noble

    ReplyDelete

Followers