Sunday, January 11, 2009

Brooklyn







One thing I've learned about myself is I'm a better walker than blogger. I'm two neighborhoods behind, soon to be three. So I best be blogging!
On December 30, lizzie, her sister Suzanne, and I headed off to the Brooklyn neighborhood. 
The westside is bordered by the Willamette. Powell is on the north. Parts go as far east as 26th and beyond Holgate south.
Gideon Tibbet settled in the area in 1851, building a home a grist mill. He named the area "Brookland" because of the river, creeks and lakes on his property.Brooklyn was founded as a neighborhood in the late 1860's when he subdivided the property into smaller lots and allowed the Oregon Central Railroad to cross the property. There was a town square at the corner of Powell and ilwaukie. The late 19th centurn saw an influx of Roman Catholic German Americans.
  We began at Brooklyn Park on Milwaukie Blvd.
The park has a playground and baseball diamond and a nice little hill. I know this because Dick went sledding there with our neighbors jus a few days earlier!

Walking south on SE 10th we saw a variety of housing from the 1890's to the 1960's. Some of the homes had plaques that said Historic Brooklyn Neighborhood and the year the  home was built. We cut up to SE 9th and headed north to Powell. We found the old church from Corbett Ave. that had been moved to behind Classics Pianos. Check out how great it looks with renovation! We also walked by The Original Hotcake House. Brings back memories of very late nights in the early 70's!
We crossed to Milwaukie and went east eventually ending up the old Brooklyn school, now Winterhaven, an environmental middle school. 


We continued back to the car passing Sacred Heart parish. I've included a picture of a beautiful tree with red twigs and yes, we found more cactus!!!










2 comments:

  1. I didn't know any of those things, thanks, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo Linda! What an interesting idea! Do you have a time frame to do all 93 neighborhoods? Hey, does Portland have a 'hood? Good luck and have fun.

    ReplyDelete

Followers